World Class Facilities
IISCO Steel Plant has roped in world class technology to create state-of-the art facilities at Burnpur. The facilities have been designed to produce best quality product with minimal environmental impact. The facilities include:
The plant has two Coke Ovens namely COB#11 and COB#10 and. COB#11 is 7 metre tall, has 74 ovens, a coke dry cooling plant and a matching By-Product Plant. The plant uses dry cooling technology using inert gases, instead of the conventional water quenching to produce 0.88 MT of Gross Coke per annum of the best quality. Coke Oven Battery No 10 has a height of 4.5 meter with 78 ovens. It has the capacity of 17.2 tons of coal pushing per day. COB#10 has a height of 4.5 meter with 78 ovens with conventional water quenching technology.
The plant has two sinter machines with a grate area of 204 metre square. Its production capacity is 3.88 MT/Yr. of super-fluxed sinter with rated specific productivity 1.2 T/m2/hr and designed productivity 1.4 T/m2/hr. Sinter usage avoids addition of raw flux in Blast Furnace thus resulting in improvement in energy efficiency and productivity.
With a useful volume of 4,161 metre cube the Blast Furnace “Kalyani” is one of largest Blast Furnace in the country. It uses high blast temperature, oxygen enrichment, high top pressure and pulverized coal injection technology to increase productivity. Two double strand, inclined & continuous type Pig Casting Machines having a production capacity of 1250 Tons/Day are there for providing a steady metal off take during any off take problem in downstream of ISP.
Basic Oxygen Furnace
ISP has three 150-tonne capacity Basic Oxygen Furnaces which produce around 2.50 MT of liquid steel. Equipped with features like combined blowing, fully computerized operation it can use scrap, iron ore and DRI as coolant to eliminate waste and enable recycling. Two Hot Metal Desulphurisation Stations are also present to reduce sulphur for producing special steels.
Secondary Refining Unit
There are two Ladle Furnaces for final composition adjustment and making special steels. One RH Degasser has been provided for making vacuum degassed special steel.
Billet Caster & Beam Blank-cum-Bloom Caster
Two 6-strand billet casters and one 4-strand bloom-cum-beam blank caster are used for casting the liquid steel. The use of beam blanks in Universal Section Mill leads to considerable improvement in overall yield and energy consumption.
ISP has three Rolling Mills-
1. Wire Rod Mill (Capacity: 0.55MTPA) for production of Wire Rods & TMT Coil. It is equipped with high speed rolling speed up to 115 mtr/sec and produces a wide range of steels to cater to different industries. It offers coils of wire rod in the diameter range of 5.5mm to 22mm and TMT in the diameter range of 6mm to 10mm.
2. Bar Mill (Capacity: 0.90MTPA) for production of TMT rebar. It is equipped with Hot Charging facilities and Endless Billet Weld Rolling facilities for enhanced yield and productivity. TMT bars are offered in the diameter range of 8mm to 40mm.
3. Universal Section Mill (Capacity: 0.85MTPA) for production of Structural. It offers Parallel Flange Beam of 240mm to 750mm, Universal Beams of 200mm to 450mm, Channels of 200mm to 400mm, Equal Angles of 150mm and 200mm well as Z & U Special Sections as per the global requirements.
The plant is provided with latest version of IP-communication server-based telephone exchange to provide state-of-art communication infrastructure. Mimic control systems for hot metal movement on railway track ensure uninterrupted flow of material.
Environment, Health & Safety
We believe in green growth and take intense care to give back to nature what we take from it. By means of well-developed environmental policies in place, the impact on environment is kept to the minimum. Continuous monitoring of crucial parameters like SPM, SOX, NOX and water testing is carried out as per the guidelines of Pollution Control Board. We consider the safety of our employees of primary importance. Frequent workshops, training and drills on safety are undertaken to make safety a way of life.
We have a well-developed IT infrastructure with internal portal to interconnect departments. Dedicated systems for project finance, payroll, quarter management and hospital management are already in operation.
Enterprise Resource Planning
ISP is the last among the sister units of SAIL to have ERP. ERP system of ISP is hosted on the HANA Enterprise Cloud (HEC), a first among all the units of SAIL. It has advanced features like SAP-SRM, e-invoicing, Customer Order Tracking along with other standard modules of SAP-ERP. With the help of EWRP, we have been able to achieve 100% paperless office and we are able to take informed decisions and better customer relationship.
Using a range of activities like computer training, interactive sessions and technical workshops, the HR department acts as a control room for the progress of the most important pillar in the growth of ISP – the people. The department has well equipped computer lab, workshop, hydraulic lab, and PLC lab.
Social media tools like twitter, whatsapp etc. are used for dissemination of various Information /news /notices in addition to print media. Hoardings/Banners/Boards are used at strategic locations for display of information and propagate ISP’s achievements in and around Burnpur steel town. For special drives like COVID awareness etc. Tableau movement is also undertaken for dissemination of messages in the surrounding areas of Burnpur.
The following Schools are run under Education Department of IISCO Steel Plant.
1. Burnpur Boys High School (H.S) - Hindi, Bengali & Urdu Medium, no of Students - 931
2. Burnpur Girls High School (H.S) - Hindi & Bengali Medium, No of Students – 786
3. Chhotodighari Vidyapeeth High School - Hindi & Bengali Medium, No of Students – 92
4. Burnpur Boys Primary School - Hindi & Bengali Medium, No of Students – 300
5. Burnpur Girls Primary School - Hindi & Bengali Medium, No of Students – 273
Total Strength of Students in ISP Run School – 2382 (ISP wards 70 & non -ISP 2312)
Note: Presently Chhotodighari Vidyapeeth High School is converted into Jumbo COVID care unit, Burnpur. Facilities:-
1. 2 no of Physical Science Laboratories, 2 no of Chemistry Laboratories, 3 no of Geography Laboratories & 3 no Libraries with all latest books.
2. 3 no of Computer Laboratories are being managed by outside agency on license basis.
3. 3 no of Ethic Clubs for students of ISP Schools.
4. 2 no of NCC Troops (in BBHS & CVHS)
5. Girls Guide in BGHS
6. Scout in BBHS
7. Central Sports & Ethics Club functions held every year.
8. Opportunities for Dance & Drama competition at District, State and National level.
9. Training facilities provided to enhance teaching skills to Proficiency Teacher Trainees.
10. 3 Play Grounds.
a) Dr. B C Roy Centenary & Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Birth Centenary Scholarship provided every year to the wards of ISP Employees.
b) ISP CENTENARY MEDHAWI CHHATRA PROTSAHAN YOJANA - 2018 “SUMEDHA” cash award is provided to the students of ISP Schools.
The Burnpur township has a 500-bedded Burnpur Hospital with facilities of OT, ICU, ICCU, Dialysis unit, Dental, Isolation ward, Blood bank, Physiotherapy, etc. Besides, there are Clinics in all townships and Occupational Health Centre in the plant to provide first aid to the employees in case of any work accidents. The hospital also undertakes health campaigns to provide underprivileged people with free medical check-up and free medicines. It also provides a 24 hour pharmacy shop to cater to the needs of patients. Burnpur hospital also houses an accredited RT-PCR Lab for COVID related sample testing.
Sports offer much-needed relaxation after the tedium of factory work. The Burnpur Stadium is a center of extensive sporting activities. Other sports complexes are the ISP Sports House, Burnpur Cricket Ground, Sports Coaching Centre, ISP Boxing Stadium, ISP School Sports Complex and Hostel Grounds. The Sports department organizes various sports activities such as football, basketball, volleyball, hockey and athletics. Players groomed in the SAIL Football Academy at Burnpur have represented SAIL in the Kolkata IFA and 1st Division League matches. Four players belonging to the ISP Sports Academy have represented ISP in the prestigious Commonwealth Games.