The particulars of SAIL’s organization, functions and duties
In pursuance of the decision taken by the Government of India in December 1972 to set up a Holding Company for steel and associated input industries, the “Steel Authority of India Limited” (SAIL) was registered as a Company under the provisions of the Companies Act, 1956 on 24th January, 1973.
From the time of the SAIL’s formation until 1992, the Government of India owned all of SAIL’s equity capital. The Government disinvested some part of its equity in SAIL in phases during 1992 to 1995. The Authorized and Paid up share capital of the company as on 31st March, 2015 was Rs.5000 crore and Rs.4130 crore respectively. Out of this paid-up capital the President of India is holding Rs.3097.77 crore (75%) and the balance shares are held by the financial institutions, mutual funds, Banks, Employees, GDR - holders and individuals.
Since, the Government of India holds about 75 per cent of the paid up capital of the SAIL, it is a Government company within the meaning of Section 2(45) of the Companies Act, 2013. The Shareholding pattern of the company is available at:
Share Holding Pattern
SAIL is one of the Maharatna Public Sector Undertaking of the Government of India, and produced around 14.3 million tonnes of crude steel in 2015-16. It has five integrated steel plants at Bhilai (Chhattisgarh), Rourkela (Odisha), Durgapur (West Bengal), Bokaro (Jharkhand) and Burnpur (West Bengal). SAIL has three special and alloy steels plants viz. Alloy Steels Plant at Durgapur (West Bengal), Salem Steel Plant at Salem (Tamil Nadu) and Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant at Bhadravati (Karnataka). SAIL has also several units viz. Research and Development Centre for Iron and Steel (RDCIS), Centre for Engineering and Technology (CET), Management Training Institute (MTI) and SAIL Safety Organisation (SSO) all located at Ranchi, Central Coal Supply Organisation (CCSO) located at Dhanbad, Raw Materials Division (RMD), Environment Management Division (EMD) and Growth Division (GD) all located at Kolkata, and SAIL Refractory Unit at Bokaro. Chandrapur Ferro Alloy Plant, (CFP) is located at Maharashtra. The Central Marketing Organisation (CMO), with its headquarters at Kolkata, coordinates the countrywide marketing and distribution network of the Company. The SAIL Consultancy Division (SAILCON) functions from New Delhi.
SAIL has promoted joint ventures in different areas ranging from power plants to e-commerce. The major joint ventures among others are:
Details of Major Joint Ventures
NTPC SAIL Power Company Pvt. Ltd.
Operates and Manages generating capacity of 814 MW captive power plants of SAIL at Bhilai, Rourkela and Durgapur.
Bokaro Power Supply Company Pvt. Ltd.
Manages 338 MW power generation and 960 tonnes / hour steam generation capacity at Bokaro.
mjunction Services Limited
Promotes e-commerce activities in steel and related areas.
Bhilai Jaypee Cement Ltd.
|Bhilai, Chhattisgarh||Jaiprakash Associates Ltd.||26:74||
Operate and manage a cement plant of 2.2 million tones capacity, utilizing granulated slag from BSP.
SAIL RITES Bengal Wagon Industries (P) Ltd.
To manufacture and sell railway wagons including high end specialized wagons and rehabilitation of wagons for the domestic markets
International Coal Ventures Private Limited
|New Delhi||CIL, RINL, NMDC & NTPC||SAIL-46.73
For acquiring/operating Coal Blocks/Mines abroad.
SAIL SCL Kerala Ltd.
|Kozikode, Kerala||Government of Kerala||49.26:49.26
(balance held by Public shareholders)
Revival of Steel Complex Limited, Kerala which was owned by Government of Kerala
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDINGS
The Company has entered into a number of strategic MOU’s which, among others, include the following:
|1||NMDC Limited, Ministry of Steel and Government of Chhattisgarh||To jointly plan and facilitate construction of Ultra Mega Steel Plant through SPV route in Bastar Area in the State of Chhattisgarh|
|2||Government of Chhattisgarh, NMDC Limited and IRCON International Limited||Development of Rowghat-Jagdalpur Rail Corridor in the State of Chhattisgarh|
|3||Arcelor Mittal SA||To jointly explore the possibility of setting up an automotive steel manufacturing facility under a Joint Venture (JV), in India.|
To be a respected world-class corporation and the leader in Indian steel business in quality, productivity, profitability and customer satisfaction.
- We build lasting relationships with customers based on trust and mutual benefit.
- We uphold highest ethical standards in conduct of our business.
- We create and nurture a culture that supports flexibility, learning and is proactive to change.
- We chart a challenging career for employees with opportunities for advancement and rewards.
- We value the opportunity and responsibility to make a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
Functions and Duties:
The Company is a commercial organization, registered under the Companies Act, 1956. It functions through its various plants and units to achieve the Objects, as mentioned in its Memorandum and Articles of Association. The SAIL Corporate office performs the following general functions:
- Developing Long term strategic planning for the company.
- Policy formulation in consultation with plant personnel. and action planning for implementation of the policies and ensuring their fulfilment.
- Ensuring smooth and efficient operations and optimal utilization of existing resources.
- Development of a well-motivated workforce and a highly competent managerial cadre.
- Reviewing performance of each unit with respect to targets and ensuring corrective action where ever required.
- Achievement of well-coordinated functioning of different plants, dissemination of knowledge and achieving synergy.
- Centralized control of Finance.
- Purchases/imports of strategic inputs.
- Capital investment decision.
- Coordination with external agencies, including Central Government, State Governments, Railways etc.
- Corporate Vigilance.
- Corporate image building.
- Discharging Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
NOTE:- For details regarding plants/units, product mix, Joint Ventures, CSR, Financial Performance etc refer to www.sail.co.in